Disclaimer

This blog represents my views, and not those of the Peace Corps, the government of Mali, or anyone else.

Startling News

Brace yourself. You knew things would change. I'm going through a lot of stuff, and I need to adjust, OK? Don't judge me! So I requested a cucumber-tomato salad for dinner for a second night in a row. So what??

OK. It's strange. But they're fresh and juicy. And they're pretty much the only vegetables I can get.

Also, I may find Jesus. My town is Christian. Very very Christian. We say grace. We spend at least 3 hours in church every Sunday. We pray every time we want something. For example, we prayed for my new best Malian friend Rach to find a good husband. I have pretty much always struggles with blind faith, but I'm not that into lip service either... so I either need to try to start believing or find a graceful way to bow out of services.

Back to Rach: She's incredibly selfless, smart (has her teaching certificate), hardworking, and fun to be around. I highly recommend her. Her brother asked me to find her an Ameriken cε. He also asked if my mom were interested in a Malian husband (thinking of himself...). I told him that she might be too old for him, but he said he was still interested! But that family likes to tease. They're sort of set away from the rest of the village, so it's nice to go there to escape the steady stream of visitors I get and just relax. I have napped there, read a book there, eaten quite a few meals there. Eating with that family is kind of like seeing a unicorn. They all wash their hands with soap before and after every meal. Not just the ones I'm eating with, not just the young educated ones... all of them. Even the musɔkɔrɔba. It's beautiful. Even if it only happens when I'm there. And Rach soaks her veggies in bleach-water before she eats them in salad! Hope springs eternal!

Anyway, I'm only here for one day, so I'm not actually updating . I just wanted to let you all know I'm still here and post that bit about the tomatoes and cucumbers.

Also: New photos filε.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELLA!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I don't get to check them very often, but I will try to respond.