Disclaimer

This blog represents my views, and not those of the Peace Corps, the government of Mali, or anyone else.

I'm sorry...?

So I've taken a little heat and felt a little guilty about my project not being available for you to fund.  This isn't my fault.  I assure you that none of my less than $300 a month went toward funding this well-building effort.  Well, actually, I spent about a dollar buying my homologue lunch after he helped me buy all the supplies today... but I certainly didn't donate on the Peace Corps web page.  I hear that you didn't get a chance to either.

What happened was this: an organization called Water Charity swooped in and funded my project.  It wasn't a huge project to begin with, so the whole thing was funded within a day.  I can't start another funding request until I've finished the current project.  That may take a while, as it's about to start raining and rainy season means farm-or-starve season.  I'm not going to ask my villagers to put off farm work for this project, so it won't get completed until it dries up again next winter.  So you're out of luck there.  You didn't get to help me with my small well project.

Don't give up hope!  There are other ways to help.  I'm sure I'll do another partnership project.  There's a very similar well project going on just up the road from me at my friend Jenn's site.  Every one of the PC Mali projects is being done by a friend, and you're welcome to ask me about any of them if you're interested.  If you are feeling more hands-on, there are things that you could send me.  I currently give 'my' kids candies when they come over and help around my house.  A friend suggested chewable vitamins might be a healthier option, but they're not found over here.  I'm sure my kids would love anything you wanted to send over in the way of school supplies or little toys (but remember there's an entire village of them, so send shareable things).

But right now I'm tired, and I need to get up early, so that's all I've got for you.  Thank you so much for wanting to help, and I'll try to give you more opportunities soon.  Be well!  Always with love.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my dear Pilar. The only thing you're guilty of is writing too good of a proposal and being too awesome of a person :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I don't get to check them very often, but I will try to respond.